Rapunzel’s 12th Annual Songwriting Contest
Saturday, October 25 2014 at 8pm
…at Rapunzel’s Coffee and Books
924 Front Street Lovingston, VA 22949
1st: $1000 plus 8 hours at Packing Shed Records
Entry Fee: $15
Cost for spectators: $15
All entries must be received by September 22. Finalists will be notified no later than October 1.
Here’s how it works…
You may submit 2 songs for consideration, which must be received by 5pm on Monday, September 22.
You must include typewritten lyrics AND a homeburned cd, OR mp3 recording, OR active link to a full-length recording of your songs, along with the entry fee and your contact information. Please make sure that your name and the title of your song are at the top of your lyrics, marked on the CD, or included in the mp3 file name.
Our selection committee will assess the entries based on lyrics, melody, composition, and originality, and will choose 30 FINALISTS to perform ONE SONG live before the panel of judges on Saturday, October 25. The judges will then determine the winners based on the same categories, with performance to be taken into consideration only in the event of a tie.
The finalist performance will run from 8pm til at least 11pm. If you cannot commit to being here for the entire performance (see the notes about the order-of-go below), then please do not submit an entry.
If you are selected as a finalist, you may perform your song with no more than 2 supporting musicians.
Please read the full rules and regulations below.
Rules & Regs:
- Entries must be accompanied by the entry fee, a home-burned CD or MP3 recording of up to two songs, typewritten song lyrics, and contact information. Please make sure that both your lyrics and your music files or disc include your name and the title of your song. The entire package MUST be received no later than Monday, September 15. Entries will not be complete until we receive the entire entry package. Entries may be mailed to our PO Box, submitted online, or dropped off in person at the shop. See ’2014 songwriters’ contest entry form’ below for details.
- Entry fees are non-refundable after September 22, 2014.
- Each songwriter may submit two original songs. 30 Finalists will be chosen to perform ONE of the songs live on Saturday, October 25, 2014.
- Songwriters may engage another musician to perform the song on their behalf.
- Finalists may perform with no more than two backup musicians.
- Bands containing more than one songwriter may still provide musical support for each other, but no more than two songwriters from the same band may compete.
- The contest will be judged according to lyrics, melody, composition and originality. Performance to be considered as a tiebreaker.
- Order of go will be determined according to a draw, which will be held at 7:00pm the night of the contest. You need not be present for the draw, but you MUST be present for whatever slot is pulled. If you miss your slot, you forfeit your entry.
- Any rules that are misprinted or printed incomplete found in other publications are not official and we take no responsibility for any disqualification resulting from not following the complete instructions listed above.
2014 Songwriter’s Contest Entry Form
Entries may also be dropped off at Rapunzel’s any evening that we are open–Saturdays, 4pm–11pm, or at the monthly Open Jam on the second Wednesday of each month, or at the Open Mic night on the second Friday.
ENTRIES BY MAIL:
Please send the following information, along with the $15 entry fee, a homeburned CD recording of your songs, and a typewritten copy of your lyrics to:
Rapunzel’s Songwriters’ Contest
PO Box 556
Lovingston VA 22949
Titles of Song(s):
Band/musician performing the song (if other than songwriter):
TO ENTER ONLINE:
Email the above entry information to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line, please write “Rapunzel’s Songwriting Contest Entry”.
In the body of the email OR as an attachment, provide the lyrics to your two song submissions. We must also have MP3 recordings of the entire songs or a link to a full recording of the songs online.
- Please DO NOT send or direct us to YouTube videos or other video footage of your songs. Recordings must be either homemade or studio audio recordings.
- Please DO NOT send or direct us to partial song samples. We need to be able to hear the entire song.
Online entries must be accompanied by the $15 entry fee. You may pay online here:
Please make sure that your lyrics and your music include your name and the name of your song!
Thank you, and see you at the show!
Rapunzel’s 12th Annual Songwriting Contest
Saturday, October 25th, 2014